The Top 3 Pros and Cons of VISTA CAY RESORT, ORLANDO, FLORIDA, USA
THE TOP 3 PROS:
- The Location: From any reasonable viewpoint this has to be the top location where Holiday Vacation Rental type accommodation is available within the entire Orlando Area: It is situated adjacent to Universal Boulevard, off International Drive, a short distance from the Orlando Convention Centre. Universal Theme Parks, Wet n’ Wild, Sea World and Aquatica Water Park are within around 5 minutes drive – the Disney Theme Parks are around 15/20 minutes. Hit the rush hour and times can be much more! The downside is that outside of the Vista Cay leisure amenities there is very little of interest within short or even reasonable walking distance so you need a rental vehicle. Parking space is plentiful at Vista Cay. Walgreens are at Vista Cay and Publix is at The Isles of Cay Commons.
- The Accommodation is Good to Excellent: The standard condominiums are of a good quality and the units are in Ventura Buildings which are at least equal to, or better than, similar types of units in the Orlando area. The top units are excellent by any standard and are in the Monterey Buildings which have a lobby and interior corridors – they are by a distance the best holiday rental condominiums anywhere in Orlando. Ventura and Monterey Condos are all 2 or 3 Bed 2 Bath with a private patio or balcony (TIP: The Monterey unit balconies are much larger and have a cooling ceiling fan so are conducive to relaxing on them for a period of time, whereas the Ventura balconies are a bit on the small side to say the least and can only accommodate a couple of people at best at any one time). All types of accommodation are fully furnished and equipped ready for ‘home away from home’ accommodation with open plan living and dining area and modern kitchens. In addition there are 3 storey 3 Bed 3 Bath Townhouses with their own entrance and single garage. The Townhouses are of a similar standard to the Monterey Condos. Things like Widescreen TV’s, DVD and wi-fi are pretty much standard in most units. TIP: Individual units can be booked to secure one with the bedding types that you need – maybe one with two King sized beds or all double beds, one with a 4 Poster Bed in the Master Bedroom or any other type of configuration. Other features might be a particular building (maybe near to friends staying at the same time), the floor level or the view (Lake View have a southerly aspect and many offer views of the Sea World firework display in the evenings) or even the style of decoration and furnishing.
- On-site Resort Facilities and Amenities: Everything most visitors could want – A state-of-the-art Clubhouse with Concierge Desk surrounded by tropical landscaping which includes a lounge, licensed bar, oversized swimming pool overlooking Lake Cay, kids splash pool, jacuzzi spa, gift shop and sundries, fitness facility, games area including pool tables, Business Center with Computers with high-speed internet and printers, ATM Machine. There is also a West-side swimming pool with pool house, jacuzzi and BBQ grills. A ide path runs along the front of Vista for strolling or jogging. NOTE OF WARNING: There are a lot of references to a Basketball Court and a Clubhouse Theatre – this is ‘out of date’ information, neither facility is now there.
THE TOP 3 CONS:
- The Location: Now this must sound strange given the No. 1 Pro but let us explain. Visitors staying at Vista Cay really must have a rental vehicle to get around the area, including both the local International Drive area and when visiting the Orlando theme parks, especially in the summer months (heat!). Walking to International Drive is an average of between 20 to 30 minutes. Yes, a fast walker might save 5 minutes but a slow walker could take quite a bit longer – and as for kids, don’t go there. Do you think they will fancy trekking back and forth! I don’t think so. So, if you are not planning to rent a vehicle then Vista Cay is not going to be a good choice. TIP: Be warned, if you don’t have a rental vehicle, waiting around for local buses is no fun; they are erratic with timing and always stopping. The I-Drive trolley does not have a stop near enough as it does not go up Universal Boulevard. Taxis might be an expensive solution but will only seat 4 persons maximum at any one time.
- No Restaurant: There is no restaurant at Vista Cay and only a Pizza one (getting very average reviews) nearby. So you are back to renting a vehicle again! NB: For groceries and general household items there is an excellent Publix Supermarket on-site in The Isles of Cay Commons Area.
- Vista Cay is NOT a Hotel or really even a Resort – as is referenced throughout the Internet. Vista Cay is a residential community which has been licensed for short-term rentals, so whilst the majority of units are owner occupied a substantial number are ‘individually’ owned by investors and these are the ones that are available for short-term rental. Just to make things completely clear the rental units are managed by a variety of management agents, most of which are not on-site. The on-site Management Company is located in the Clubhouse and run the Concierge Desk.
Vista Cay is a great place to stay in a great location, 90% ideal for visiting and getting around the Orlando area. There is a choice of type of units: standard or luxury – the luxury units offering more space than any comparable accommodation anywhere in Orlando. The staff in Vista Cay are friendly storey drive orlando and most of the Management Companies that look after the units keep them in good order for the turnover of guests, which is quite high. The resort facilities are excellent, the swimming pool is a large one (and yes, it can get busy at times! when everyone fancies a dip at the same time) and yes, there are quite a few kids that usually stay as part of the family units so it can get noisy. Top Tip: The pool at the West side is usually much quieter and less used so if you want to laze around reading a book then head over there. Some complain it’s too quiet – there is no pleasing some folk! The walking distance between the west-side, known as The Isles of Cay Commons (which is where Publix and the Pizza place is) is a maximum of 15 minutes walk and you can simply stroll along the lakefront to get to and fro. PS: If you are staying in this area – which incidentally many returning guests prefer – you than have your own quieter pool area and Publix on your doorstep. You can enjoy the main facilities when you want to use them.